Annual Fellowship Deadlines: Feb 15, June 15, October 1 annually
56+ Fellowships Available at Vermont Studio Center’s 2/15/15 Deadline
The Vermont Studio Center is thrilled to announce 56+ fellowship for artists and writers at our upcoming February 15, 2015 deadline, including:
– 2 Artists Supporting Artists Fellowships for emerging visual artists, supported by the Wolf Kahn and Emily Mason Foundation, to provide a VSC residency + mentorship with artist Nari Ward
– 3 James Merrill Poetry Fellowships for outstanding American poets with demonstrable financial need (includes $500 stipend)
– 1 #GivingTuesday Alumni Fellowship for an artist or writer who has attended VSC in the past
– 1 Voices Rising Fellowship for an African American woman fiction writer with demonstrable financial need (includes $2,000 stipend)
– 1 Swan Fellowship for an interdisciplinary artist who both paints and writes
– 10 Hemera Foundation Tending Space Fellowships for artists and writers with an existing contemplative practice
– and 25 VSC Fellowships open to ALL!
The Vermont Studio Center offers:
- 2- to 12-week studio residencies for 50+ artists and writers per month (24 painters/ mixed-media, 12 sculptors/mixed-media, 2 printmakers, 2 photographers, and 16 writers)
- Private studio space appropriate to the medium (open 24 hours a day)
- Simple, private rooms and excellent food
- Opportunity for focused, independent work
- A large and diverse creative community
- Opportunities to share work: open studio evenings, slide presentations, and readings
- Three annual fellowship deadlines: February 15th, June 15th, and October 1st—learn more about our fellowships here.
VSC accepts 40 visual artists each month in painting, sculpture, new and mixed-media, drawing, printmaking, and photography.
Each VSC Resident Artist receives:
- A private studio in one of five studio buildings
- The presence of four Visiting Artists per month, each of whom gives a slide lecture and offers optional individual studio visit
- Access to model for life drawing
- Access to Sculpture Shop, Print Shop, or Darkrooms (as appropriate)
Slide Presentations / Open Studios
- Four evenings each month are scheduled to provide Resident Artists the chance to share their work (in slide or digital format) if they wish to do so.
- Open Studio evenings are scheduled twice each month as an additional opportunity to share work.
Studios & Facilities
Painters and other 2-D media artists receive a private studio of approximately 300 square feet in one of four painting and mixed-media studio buildings. All studios are open 24 hours a day. Studios are equipped with rolling painting tables/carts, easels, stools, ample wall space, and both natural and artificial lighting, and are assigned according to information provided by accepted Residents about the scale and media of their work. Painting materials are available at the Studio Store, a private art supply store on campus.
See the Studios pages in the Photo Tour section for exterior/interior studio views.
Writers are provided with private studios, each with a view of the Gihon River, in VSC’s new Maverick Writing Studios building. Writer’s studios provide a desk, rolling ergonomic desk chair, wing chair, and a desk and standing lamp. Studios have wireless and hardwired internet access, and are networked to VSC-supplied shared printers for those writers who don’t bring their own. Writers may also use the Mason House conference room, a group meeting space and library with a growing collection of poetry, fiction and nonfiction.
Sculptors and other 3-D media artists receive a private studio in either the Schultz or Firehouse Studios, as well as access to an outdoor work yard. The facilities allow work in stone, steel, wood, clay, plaster and fabric, and afford opportunities for non-permanent site-specific pieces in the immediate environment. A staff sculptor is available for technical support; sculptors can also have materials ordered with advance notice. A complete sculpture shop with studio and hand tools for woodwork and welding is housed in Schultz Studios and kilns are available in Firehouse.
Printmakers work in a shared print shop in the Barbara White Studios and receive a private studio space. Printmakers should have prior mono-printing experience and plan to work independently. Some materials can be ordered in advance through the Studio Store.
Photographers are offered a private black and white darkroom and studio space. Photography residents with their own equipment may also choose to work in digital media.
Residencies at the Vermont Studio Center are offered based on a review of the portfolio or manuscript submitted by each applicant. While application for residency may be submitted at any time, applicants who wish to be considered for a fellowship must submit their application by one of the three annual fellowship deadlines. Fellowship applications are reviewed by a revolving jury of VSC visiting artists and writers and are based on merit as seen by the jury. The Vermont Studio Center welcomes applicants representing the full range of aesthetic perspectives and cultural backgrounds.
The Vermont Studio Center has partnered with SlideRoom to bring you an improved online application process:
- Apply online now
- Apply by Mail by downloading, filling out, and posting your application. International applicants are welcome to send their application materials via email or fax to 802-635-2730 for our special April 1st International Deadline only.
- Email us to request a printed brochure and application.
Your application must be received in our office by the application deadline.
Annual Fellowship Deadlines
- February 15, June 15, October 1
It is best to apply at least six months in advance of your preferred start date, though we will consider applications received as late as 6 weeks in advance of the month(s) for which one is applying. Summer and fall Residencies are our most popular and competitive; the recommended deadline for summer fellowships is the October deadline. Please view the residency schedule when selecting your dates.
For details and eligibility requirements, visit: http://www.vermontstudiocenter.org/fellowships
To apply, visit: vsc.slideroom.com