Application Fee: $25
Deadline: July 15 annually
The Chalk Hill Artist Residency provides artists working in diverse media with housing and workspace at the Warnecke Ranch and Vineyards in Sonoma County, California. Located on the Russian River, an hour and a half north of San Francisco, the Residency provides artists with an opportunity to be inspired by a uniquely beautiful natural setting.
The Chalk Hill Residency collaborates with local artists, art organizations and non-profits supporting artists living with disabilities.
Artists are responsible for food, art materials and transportation. The fee for a two week residency is $450. Chalk Hill has a sponsorship program for which certain artists may apply to cover accommodation costs.
- The program is interested in established artists, emerging artists and outsider artists.
- An ideal applicant is self-sufficient and motivated.
- Applications are open to artists of all media.
- A project proposal should be established for the time in residency.
- Residents are invited to work with local non-profit organizations supporting artists living with disabilities and or are encouraged to host a community workshop/lecture (drawing, painting, photography etc).
- Applicants can be small art groups.
- From the founder: “Criteria for acceptance will be the talents and seriousness of intent evident in the artist’s work.” ~ JCW
- One or two artists will attend the program for 4 to 8 weeks at the Residency’s three-bedroom 1920’s farmhouse. House rules are to be observed.
- Studio spaces are in repurposed rustic barns and will be arranged as needed.
- Artists are financially responsible for their food. Grocery stores are located in Windsor and Healdsburg, both a 15 minute drive from the Residency. A seasonal garden space is available.
- Residents must supply their own art materials.
- Transportation to and from the Residency is the responsibility of the artist.
- Wireless internet is available on the property.
- Sonoma County weather is beautiful year round but winter can be cool and rainy.
PROGRAM FEE & SPONSORSHIPS:
- The fee for a 2 week residency, including room, studio, and residency programs, is $450.
- Sponsorships: Depending upon availability, we will award sponsorships based on merit and need. This assistance provides full coverage of the residency fee. Please state on your application form if you are applying for a sponsorship.
- Contributing residents are artists who are able to cover their full residency fee, thereby increasing our ability to assist those who would otherwise be unable to participate. We greatly appreciate those artists who choose to apply as contributing residents.
- Payment and Refund Policy: CHAR accepts payments in US dollars by personal check and with credit card via Paypal. Application fees are non-refundable.
Healdsburg, CA 95448 United States