The Salt Spring National Art Prize (SSNAP) is pleased to launch its second national juried competition of Canadian visual art.
The intent of SSNAP is to encourage artists whose practice demonstrates originality, quality, integrity and creativity—resulting in significant work with visual impact and depth of meaning. Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada who are eighteen years of age and older as of January 1, 2016, are invited to submit their two-dimensional and three-dimensional work for consideration.
Approximately 50 finalists will be chosen by an independent jury from across Canada. All artists’ submissions will be anonymous to the jury.
SSNAP Awards Totaling $30,000
- The Joan McConnell Award for Outstanding Work
$17,000 ($12,000 and a $5,000 Salt Spring Island artist residency)
- The Juror’s Choice Awards
Three awards of $2,000 selected by each juror
- The Rosemarie Behncke People’s Choice Awards
Three awards determined by a vote of visitors to the exhibition:
- 1st prize – $3,000
- 2nd prize – $2,000
- 3rd prize – $1,000
- The ASA (Alliance of Salt Spring Artists) Award for Outstanding Salt Spring Artist
Calendar of Events:
- January 12 – May 31, 2017 – The call for artist submissions open.
- July 15, 2017 – The list of finalists will be announced.
- September 22 – October 22, 2017 – Original works will be exhibited and presented for sale at the Finalist Exhibition at historic Mahon Hall on Salt Spring Island. (Open daily from Saturday, September 23, 2016)
- September 22, 2017 – Gala Opening.
- October 21, 2017 – Winners announced at the Gala Awards.
Canadian citizens or permanent residents aged 18 years and over as of January 1, 2016.
Entrants may submit up to three works for adjudication. However, only one work can be selected for exhibition. Each work submitted constitutes a separate entry. Please complete a separate online entry form for each work entered.
- 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional art in any medium. Please note the present exhibition space is limited in its ability to accommodate work involving sound, light, or movement.
- Entries must not have been previously exhibited in any juried exhibition.
- Entries must be the original, unaided work of the entrant, except where work is a collaboration. In such cases the piece must be jointly entered in the names of all the participants and any prizes will be divided equally among them.
- Entries must have been completed January 1, 2016 or later.
- The capture date of photography must be January 1, 2016 or later.
- Cast works, original prints and photographs must be unique, or numbered in an edition. Unique works should be numbered edition 1/1.
- Work in editions must bear the date of the first in the edition.
- Where work is an homage, the original must be identified.
- Substitutions will not be permitted.
- Work must be available for sale.
- A commission of 30% will be deducted from the sale price of all works sold.
- Work must be available for display during the entire period of the show.
- A painting done from a photograph not taken by the artist, or borrowed from a book, newspaper, magazine, image of another photographer or artist, can be considered original only if the artist has changed the image to such a degree that it is not recognizable and thus has become original. If you use another person’s original work to create your work, you must have his or her written permission to do so.
- Finished dimensions must not exceed 48˝ wide x 60˝ high x 4 ˝ deep.
- Work must be securely framed, mounted and ready to hang.
- A stretched canvas or panel may be considered framed.
- Multiple panel work is considered a single entry. Combined panels must meet the size specification above.
- Work must be completely dry.
- Work must fit inside a space 54˝wide x 54˝deep x 96˝ high.
- Weight of work must be indicated on the entry form.
- Work must be ready for installation (pedestals will be provided), or
- Work must be capable of installation by SSNAP volunteer staff and complete instructions provided as necessary.
- For 2-dimensional work, submit one photo of the full work. Optionally, submit a second photo of a significant detail or brushwork.
- For 3-dimensional work, submit up to three photos, one of which must show the entire work.
- Use JPG format up to 12.8MB in size.
- If you are a photo specialist, or using a professional photographer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for complete photo technical specifications.
If you have questions about the conditions of entry, please email email@example.com
This exciting endeavour is an initiative of the Salt Spring Arts Council (SSAC), which represents the arts for Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, known as one of Canada’s premier arts communities.
We thank you and look forward to celebrating the talent of Canadian artists!
Official Website >>