Application Period: April 19 to June 3, 2017
Duration: 6-8 weeks
Cash award of $5000
Honoring visionary artist and former Headlands Program Director Ann Chamberlain, the Chamberlain Award is a fully sponsored artist residency and cash prize designed to support an artist who displays exceptional merit working in the discipline of social practice. This award supports artists whose creative work implements non-traditional media in order to contribute to conversations about society, while directly manifesting change for individual lives and communities.
Residencies of six to eight weeks include dedicated use of a private studio, chef-prepared meals, comfortable housing, and a cash award of $5,000. The Chamberlain Awardee will become part of the dynamic community of artists and thinkers who catalyze Headlands’ hub for critical conversation, reflection, and art practice. The award is made possible with generous support from the E. Ann Chamberlain Fund.
- To support and invest in creative individuals at the cutting edge of their fields, whose work seeks to catalyze dialogue and change, that takes note of different histories, and promotes community engagement.
- To provide artists working in social practice with the support and opportunity to take their work to the next level, and to explore and experiment
- To bring artists and thinkers into a dynamic community of local, national, and international artists: a professional network of creative practitioners and thinkers
- To encourage artists to explore their ideas and work within the context of the Marin Headlands, a part of Golden Gate National Recreation Area
- To bring an international community of artists to the Bay Area and create opportunities for engagement and cross-cultural exchange with local artists and audiences