Deadline for Nominations: March 31, 2017
The Eldon + Anne Foote Edmonton Visual Arts Prize was established with the generous support of the Eldon + Anne Foote Fund at Edmonton Community Foundation and in partnership with the Edmonton Arts Council and Visual Arts Alberta Association (Visual Arts Alberta ~ CARFAC).
This prize is open to Edmonton area artists nominated by an individual or gallery/organization located in the Greater Edmonton area (Greater Edmonton, as defined by the Edmonton Community Foundation, includes the City of Edmonton and its four surrounding counties). Entries may be in any visual arts media and must have been shown in a Greater Edmonton area exhibition space during 2016 (January 1st, 2016 – December 31st, 2016). Submissions are judged by an independent jury selected by Visual Arts Alberta ~ CARFAC. A longlist will be announced on or before Friday May 12th, 2017. A shortlist of three will be announced on or before Friday May 26th, 2017. The prize winner will be announced at a short ceremony on Thursday June 22nd, 2017.
PRIZE: The winning artist will receive a $10,000 cash prize. The two other artists shortlisted for The Eldon + Anne Foote Edmonton Visual Arts Prize will receive $1000.00 cash prizes.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & RULES
• Work submitted must be created by an artist living in the greater Edmonton area. Work produced by multiple artists is eligible if a majority of the participating artists are based in the greater Edmonton area.
• The artist(s) must be nominated by an Edmonton area individual or gallery/ organization which showed at least one work by the artist(s) in 2016. No individual or gallery/organization may nominate the same artist(s) two years in a row, even for a different body of artwork. Previous recipients of the Prize are not eligible for re-nomination for three years following their prize year.
• Each individual or gallery/organization can nominate the exhibited work by the artist(s).
• Work submitted must have been shown in a greater Edmonton gallery space during 2016.
• Work submitted may be in any visual arts media including, but not limited to: painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking, photography and installation.
• If, in the opinion of the jury, no work in the competition merits an award, no award will be given. In all cases, the jury’s decision is final.
Submissions must be mailed or hand delivered to Visual Arts Alberta ~ CARFAC and received by 4:00pm on Friday March 31st, 2017. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. If any help is required in the submission process, please contact Visual Arts Alberta ~ CARFAC (email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 780.421.1731) by March 10th, 2017. Submissions must include:
• A Nomination Form.
• A written description of the specific art work nominated and an explanation of why this art work has been nominated (three pages maximum, see Submission Checklist for options).
• Digital images or a short video of the artist(s) art work (see Submission Checklist for file requirements).
• Artist(s) CV or comprehensive Biography (three pages maximum). Digital images or a short video of the art work in the exhibition space (see Submission Checklist for file requirements).
• One representative digital photographic image of the nominated art work (for publicity purposes).
• An Artist(s) Declaration Form.
Awards will be based on the jury’s evaluation of the art works artistic, historical and social merit. The jury may take into account their perception of the work in the context of the artist’s career, in the context of relevant artistic tradition(s), and in the context of the practice of visual art in Canada. In all cases the jury will recognize exemplary art work, regardless of the artist’s particular mode of expression. If, in the opinion of the jury, no art work in the competition merits an award, no award will be given. In all cases, the jury’s decision is final.
The submission deadline for completed nominations is Friday March 31st, 2017 at 4pm by mail or hand delivered to:
Eldon + Anne Foote Edmonton Visual Arts Prize
Visual Arts Alberta Association
3rd Floor, 10215 112 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5K 1M7
Office & Gallery Hours
Wed – Fri: 10-4 + Sat: 12-4.
Closed all statutory holidays and most holiday weekends
Contact us email@example.com 780-421-1731 or toll free 1-866-421-1731