Paint Spot Announces Classes for February & March 2017
An enticing range of classes is coming up at The Paint Spot. We invite you to consider taking one or many. One of the best ways to enjoy a Paint Spot class is to come with a friend: you can often share supplies as well as insights and fun.
• FEBRUARY Oksana Zhelisko continues to host her Oil: Remedies for Painting Problems, as does Randy Hayashihis Acrylic: Remedies for Painting Problems, both $30/session drop-in classes. Oil classes run each Tuesday untilFebruary 28, 10AM-1PM; acrylic: Wednesdays until February 22, same time. Join us for assistance with your questions, dilemmas and problems – our instructors will help you make better paintings.
• What is the Essence of a Flower? asks Julie Drew in her watercolour class. Learn to paint petals, leaves and setting; several techniques and compositional strategies highlighted. Bring an image of flowers, leave with a lovely painting! Saturday, February 11, 10AM-4PM; $60 + Supply List.
• Have you ever created a portrait and struggled with the background? Have you ever created a decorative still life but wasn’t sure how to add interest? Learn how to create intriguing, fun, textured, and colorful backgrounds, how to scratch out, how to use gold leaf, how to do a paper collage, and more. Oksana Zhelisko teaches Mixed Media: Textures & Backgrounds for Paintings Sunday, February 19, 12-5PM; $60 + $20 Supply Fee + Supply List.
• Round off the month with a weekend retreat dedicated to working expressively in acrylic. Let Go with Acrylic with Nancy Corrigan comprises 2 days of “being in the moment in that process” with support from your fellow painters and your class artist/facilitator. This is a weekend retreat about thinking, feeling, and painting, but you’ll increase your painterly skills, too, learning techniques that enhance the gestural capabilities of your paint handling. Saturday & Sunday, February 25 & 26, 10AM-4PM each day; $120 + Supply List.
• MARCH brings back Randy Hayashi’s popular Acrylic Landscape from Photo to Painting, Thursdays, March 2, 9, 16, & 23, 6:30-8:30PM. This class series is very rewarding. $120 + GST + Supply List.
• Printmaking returns with Sara Norquay’s Carve & Print a Relief Portrait, Saturday, March 4, 9:30-5:30PM. You’ll create a vivid, high-contrast image; the carving and printing methods are versatile in application. Sara is a well-known printmaker and instructor. Saturday, March 4, 9:30AM-5:30PM; $80 + GST + Supply List.
Soft Pastels: Winter Hay Bales with David Shkolny introduces this lustrous medium, so rewarding to learn. Sunday, March 5, 12 Noon – 5PM; $60 + GST + Supply List.
• Oil paint! The perfect way for the novice to approach this classic paint is Let’s Begin Oil Painting with Oksana Zhelisko, Tuesdays, March 7, 14, 21, & 28, 6-8:30PM. She will help you take those first vital steps with this versatile, brilliant medium. $110 + $10 Supply Fee + GST + Supply List. Oksana is a professional oil painter and a superb teacher.
• If you are interested in anime/manga/pop illustration styles of drawing do not miss Chris Jugo’s classes! Drawing: Anime – Make It Your Own, Wednesdays, March 8, 15, 22, & 29, 6-8PM, is designed to take you through the creation of your own anime character(s). $95 + GST + Supply List. Learn the best way to use your coloured markers with Chris Jugo by taking Rendering with Coloured Markers, Saturday March 11 10AM-4PM; $60 + GST + Supply List. These classes can be taken by artists as young as 12, provided they are keen and serious students. Chris is an excellent artist who has created several anime characters!
• Do you have some encaustic experience and want more? Join Jordan Pearson for Wildlife Portrait in Encaustic, Sunday, March 12 10AM-4PM; $60 + $30 Supply Fee + GST. The Supply Fee covers everything you need to participate in this class with one of our favourite instructors. (Class limit 12.)
• Two watercolour classes to consider mid-month: Watercolour: Off the Wall with Jan Fraser, Saturday, March 18, 10AM-4PM; $60 + $20 Supply Fee + GST + Supply List; Water Media: Fearless Painting in Watercolour or Acrylic with Sharon Hazen, Sunday March 19, 12 Noon -5PM; $60 + GST + Supply List. Both of these classes offer relaxed but exciting atmospheres of exploration and discovery.
• Daphne Cote will enable you to gain a greater understanding of figure painting in an immersive Weekend Retreat of discovery and creation. Figure Painting Intensive, Oil or Acrylic gives a rare opportunity to paint from live models. (Open to age 18+.) Friday-Sunday, March 24-26; Fri: 5:30-8:30PM; Sat & Sun: 10AM-4PM; $199 + $20 Model Fee + GST + Supply List. This is a genuine learning opportunity for the serious artist.
You can register for classes at The Paint Spot, 10032 81 Avenue, Edmonton, in person, by phone (780.432.0240) or online at www.paintspot.ca, where the classes are listed in more details with illustrations.