Call for Submissions, McMullen Gallery, Edmonton
McMullen Gallery seeks proposals for the 2018-2019 exhibition season from practicing artists, curators and organizations, with consideration for the meaningful experiences that art allows in a hospital setting.
The Friends of University Hospitals is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing healing, caring, and compassion for patients, staff, families, and volunteers through social enterprise, arts programming, and community engagement. The Friends’ Arts in Healthcare program, which includes the UAH Art Collection, McMullen Gallery, and the Artists on the Wards programs, is based on the belief that art can do for the healing spirit what treatment and technology can do for the ailing body.
Opened in 1986 and situated in the University of Alberta Hospital, McMullen Gallery has approximately 1700 visitors per exhibition, including patients, medical staff, hospital visitors and members of the general public. McMullen Gallery exhibits artwork in all media that is soothing, uplifting, humorous, and/or thought-provoking including but not limited to health-related subject matter.
• McMullen Gallery consists of 175 running feet of wall space and 2000 square feet of floor space, with 9 foot ceiling height on permanent walls. The gallery has mid-grey fabric coverings and modular track lighting. It faces an extremely busy corridor with a storefront window with additional hanging space.
• McMullen gallery pays artists according to CARFAC guidelines, and also covers the cost of opening celebration, invitations, labels and signage.
Submission Check List
- Artist Resume including formal training, exhibition history
- Description of Proposed Exhibition (1-2 pages)
- Artist Statement (1 page)
- Images – 10-15 images of proposed or supporting artwork
- JPEG format
- approximately 800×600 pixel range
- 150 – 300 dpi
- no larger than 2MB in size
- files must be named: lastnamenumber.jpeg(eg.smith1.jpeg)
- Image List – Provide an image list with the following:
- artist’s name, contact name, address, email, telephone at the top of page
- list the following information for each image:
- JPEG file name
- title of Artwork
- date completed
- Additional Supporting Documents (not required)
Submissions are evaluated by the McMullen Gallery Programming Jury, which includes Friends of University Hospitals board members, community members at large, and hospital staff. Applicants will be notified of the jury’s decision. All decisions are final.
Visit the link below for more information.
• Applications are accepted via an online form system here: http://www.friendsofuah.org/mcmullen-gallery/submissions/ .
Thank you for your interest. Inquiries:
Manager – McMullen Gallery
780 407 7152