Note: This is a casual/on-call position working up to 35 hours per month.
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is seeking a Gallery Assistant.
Open to qualified candidates worldwide, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens/residents.
Open until suitable candidate found.
Founded in 1933, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is a learning organization built upon an extraordinary legacy of excellence in artistic and creative development. What started as a single course in drama has grown to become the global organization leading in arts, culture, and creativity across dozens of disciplines. From our home in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
The Walter Phillips Gallery (WPG) at Banff Centre is looking for a casual Gallery Assistant to perform various administrative duties as needed to support the Gallery team, as well as to provide security for the Gallery, act as an interpreter for Gallery exhibitions, care for the artwork in the exhibition, and be responsible for the maintenance of the public area of WPG.
- Interact with visitors, give tours of the exhibitions and other public events, answer visitors’ questions, and follow-up on queries as appropriate
- Responsible for security of the Gallery exhibition space and visitors, ensure that artwork is presented in its ultimate condition, and ensure that technical equipment related to the exhibition is fully functioning at all times
- Carries out administrative requirements and research on exhibitions and artists, assists in developing interpretive material and educational information for Gallery programming for visitors and groups
- Responsible for organizing, preparing, and completing Gallery mail-outs and publications in a timely fashion and for updating and maintaining mailing lists for the Walter Phillips Gallery and the Banff International Curatorial Institute
- Responsible for workshop registration for Gallery programs, as well as assisting with the organizing and hosting of Gallery receptions
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Has a community college diploma or equivalent in art history, curatorial studies, fine arts, media arts, and/or museum studies with an emphasis on contemporary art
- Has one to two years’ administrative experience working in a computerized office environment
- Brings a solid understanding and appreciation of contemporary art and culture
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills and is able to deal diplomatically with a wide variety of people including visiting guests, Banff Centre staff, and the public
- Is attentive to detail, shows initiative, and is comfortable speaking in public
- Must be confident, proactive, and be capable of working with minimal supervision
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Candidates offered a position with the Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
Employment Terms & Benefits
In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, casual support staff position working up to 35 hours per month on an on-call basis.
This position pays $17.32 per hour.
Banff Centre offers on-the-job training, a support work environment, a staff cafeteria, subsidized fitness memberships, staff events, and free/reduced admission to many Banff Centre concerts, films, lectures and exhibitions. For more information please visit our benefits page.
We are accepting applications for the casual Gallery Assistant until a suitable candidate has been found.
Candidates already living in the Bow Valley will be given priority. Staff housing is not available for this position.
Please include a cover letter demonstrating how your experience translates to this position and why you are interested in becoming part of our team.
Submit your application, resume and cover letter online via Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity careers website as per below:
For new applicants, click ‘Apply Now’ and complete the application for employment. Please upload your cover letter and resume as ONE document in either .doc or .pdf format.
For previous applicants, log into your profile using your email address and password, then click on the browse button to upload your cover letter and resume as ONE document in either .doc or .pdf format.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its work community. If you are a foreign national please visit our International Applicants page for more information.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in working at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity.
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for above. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Banff Centre. The information is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner.