As a new initiative, Latitude 53 is interested in exploring how artists can benefit from having their work shown and contextualized with other artists in a small group setting. Latitude 53 looks to match artists who are exploring similar themes or working within similar practices of creation.
Latitude 53 looks to present exciting opportunities for artists to form new insights about their work by organizing small group exhibitions of 2–5 artists. Latitude 53 opens this call to all artists working within contemporary practices (both emerging and established artists) with no restriction on medium or place of residence. While this call is not bound thematically, Latitude 53 looks to discover new connections and pathways of artistic research through artist submissions. Latitude 53 encourages submissions in all media, including those which may be considered experimental, non-traditional, or otherwise.
Selected artists will work with a curator, writer, or facilitator in the realization of each group project for an extended period, in an artist-centred manner. Latitude 53 hopes to enhance the artist’s individual work through curation and writing while maintaining an equitable relationship between all contributors.
While Latitude 53 is specifically interested in the creation of group shows, the outcome of this call may differ depending on what would function best for the artists selected and the collaborative process itself—we remain open to projects manifesting in forms beyond gallery exhibitions.
Artists interested in submitting should include in their proposal:
- Artist’s statement (describe, in general, the direction of your artistic research—tell us about how you work and create);
- Curriculum Vitae (Up to 4 pages);
- Description of body of work (including title, medium, date and size);
- Up to 5 images of completed works and up to 2 images of in process works (including sketchbook pages, studies, unfinished works or otherwise);
- If applicable, audio/video work via dropbox or vimeo link;
- Link to website with examples of previous works or other biographical information;
- Contact information
Please include all written material as PDF files, and send submissions by email only to email@example.com “Individual submission” in the subject line. If large files are required, especially for time-based or intermedia work please provide a link via DropBox or Vimeo.
Artists may be contacted in order to arrange a studio visit and/or interview in order to further understand the direction of the proposed work.
DEADLINE: 30 October 2017 at 11:59 p.m. MST