International Call to Artists for Casa Rio Residency – Brazil
CASA RIO is a residency and workspace for artists, creatives and cultural professionals in central Rio de Janeiro, owned by Secretaria de Estado de Cultura do Rio de Janeiro / FUNARJ and managed on a not for profit basis by Brazilian NGO People’s Palace Projects do Brasil.
CASA RIO’s aims are to support creative encounters, facilitate artistic processes, and build networks and contacts in Rio/Brazil through a programme of residencies open to Brazilian and overseas applicants, lasting between 1 week and 3 months.
The Artistic Residence contributes, directly or indirectly, to the development of the artistic and cultural scene of the location where it is executed. At Casa Rio, residency candidates are offered the possibility of working, creating, and/or researching during a determined period of time in a welcoming environment that facilitates the creation of new connections of artistic collaboration.
Casa Rio welcomes artists, producers, and curators in a creative process. To assist you, we created two types of applications:
- Residencies of artistic creation (overnight stay)
- Co-working for cultural producers (rent of rooms or workstations)
- Residencies are available to artists, producers and researchers developing creative projects, of any nature, and not necessarily linked to Rio de Janeiro. However, the applicant must state their reasons for choosing Rio de Janeiro for their project’s development.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate evidence of active work (personal or collective) within creative projects.
- Residencies are available to those over 18 only.
- Applicants must have a basic knowledge of Portuguese, English or Spanish to enable social interactions in the house.
- Unless agreed in advance, residents do not have exclusive use of Casa Rio. We normally run several artists’ residencies alongside each other, and meeting and workspaces are shared with local creative professionals.
- The house’s rehearsals and meeting rooms are not soundproof, and cannot support projects that produce loud noise. If your project involves high sound levels, we may be able to support you to find alternative workspace.
- Each member of a group or collective must fill in an individual application (the section outlining your project may be copied and pasted).
- Once your proposal is approved, the Casa Rio team will offer you support to organize your residency and make local contacts. Whenever possible, you will also be included in other creative events in the Casa Rio programme.
- Casa Rio can hold a maximum of four artistic residencies at the same time.
- Residencies can have a minimum duration of one week, and maximum three months.
Costs are negotiated on a case by case basis.
The candidacies will be evaluated by our staff considering:
- Artistic quality of the presented proposal
- Coherency between the project and the candidate’s work trajectory
- Possibilities of collaboration during the period of residency
The applications that promote some kind of cultural exchange will be preferred.
People’s Palace Projects has been hosting visits by UK artists to Brazil for over twenty years. With the generous support of Queen Mary University of London, we are now able to offer a unique opportunity for British artists to spend up to three months in a beautiful 19th Century mansion that was most recently used as the Museum of Theatre. Located in one of the city’s most vibrant cultural quarters, CASA RIO is only a short walk from Guanabara Bay, Copacabana beach and the metro of Botafogo. We have five large bedrooms, space for co-working, a small exhibition space, somewhere to show films, a miniature garden and a large basement.
CASA RIO is much more than a place where you can write, paint, compose, dance, dream and create. It is a place where artists from across the city meet and work and artists from across Brazil come to stay. The team from People’s Palace Projects will help you plan your visit, set up meetings and suggest ways in which you can make the most out of your time in Rio de Janeiro and Brazil.
- 4 large bedrooms (double/twin/single), with desk
- 1 large multipurpose space for meetings, exhibitions, courses, production use etc.
- 1 large shared workspace with 4 desk spaces to accommodate laptops, shared printer• Wi-fi throughout
- 1 shared kitchenette with sink, fridge, microwave and coffee machine
- 3 shared bathrooms
- Patio/internal garden space
- Wheelchair access to workspaces, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen [NB shower is not currently wheelchair accessible: this is due to be addressed]
The CASA RIO residency space is located in the vibrant Botafogo district of central Rio (near to the Sugarloaf and Federal University of Rio), on Rua São João Batista.
Rua São João Batista 105
Rio de Janeiro 22270-030
Residency candidates looking to occupy Casa Rio should submit an application. They are reviewed continuously throughout the year by our staff.
To participate, you need to download and fill the registration form and email it to email@example.com