Program for artists and researchers that has food as the central question of all activities.
Duration: 1 to 2 months
Deadline for applications: May 27, 2018
Open to artists internationally 21+years of age
La Ira de Dios is an independent non-profit institution in Buenos Aires, Argentina. LID facilitates artistic exchange and develops the practice of contemporary art through residencies, associations and public programs. Its main objective is to provide a space for experimentation, reflection, and exchange between national and international artists and researchers. Since 2010 we have held more than 40 exhibitions, and more than 100 artists and curators from 25 countries participated in our residency programs.
In 2018 LID begins a new stage by moving its residency programs to cheLA, a center for experimentation in art, technology and community-based in an old industrial building with 5000 m2.
KITCHEN IN PROCESS
La Ira de Dios + Casa Tomada
September-October 2018 residency program
Ira de Dios (Argentina) and Casa Tomada (Brazil) work in a collaborative way since 2016. After a period of research and exchange, this year both projects will develop together a residency program that will take place in Buenos Aires.
KITCHEN IN PROCESS is a program that promotes the encounter between artists and researchers that has food as the central question of all activities. Practice installed in the programs of Casa Tomada, the act of cooking, sharing, listening and digesting serves as a common meeting point between participants and guests. Having food as a starting point for the experience of the residence allows us to work the policies of food, the environment, community strategies and resistance to systems of power in the uses of the land, in the work relationships and in the body from the field of art.
La Ira de Dios organizes residency programs for groups of up to 10 participants who will live and spend time together sharing their experiences in a collaborative environment. The program includes a critical accompaniment by the team through discussions, texts, collective meals, activities promoted by the participants or other guests. Working in a large space of 400 square meters, without divisions for individual studios, the experience begins in the group’s collaborative thinking and considers sharing, as well as space, neighborhood, city interferences and meetings as stimulation for the residency process.
The participants must understand their practices within the proposal, but this program is intended not only for artists working with food as the main subject.
The open call for KITCHEN IN PROCESS program is open until May 27, 2018, for the residence that will be held from September 1 to October 31. The fellows can participate in one or two months of the program.
The program will be based in the space of La Ira de Dios in Buenos Aires and will give two grants for participants living in Buenos Aires (C.A.B.A).
- Artists and researchers can register, from 21 years of age, of any nationality.
- Registration is free and will be open until May 27, 2018, (UTC -3: 00).
- The inscriptions must necessarily be in the Spanish, English or Portuguese languages.
- Only registrations will be accepted via email, through the address email@example.com
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS
- Complete registration form: available on La Ira de Dios (lairadedios.com.ar) and Casa Tomada (casatomada.com.br) web pages. download form
- CV (2 pages maximum)
- A letter of recommendation
- Portfolio: A pdf file of up to 10 mb. Although there is not an exact number of images or texts, we advise candidates to send only relevant materials for evaluation, it is also desirable that the images contain short descriptions. Texts must be in Portuguese, Spanish or English. In the case of videos, please send the link.
- If the candidate is applying with a grant, please add a document with the information.
- All projects will be seen by evaluators of the La Ira de Dios and Casa Tomada team.
- The final selection will give priority to artists who have grants or subsidies.
- Non-resident candidates in Buenos Aires will have their interviews through Skype.
EXPECTATIONS TOWARDS THE ARTISTS
- Be able to work in a collaborative process.
- Propose an activity that may be public or for the group of residents during the program. The activities can be previously prepared or decided together with the coordination team.
- Be present throughout the period of the residence, having to previously communicate in case of necessary absence.
- Have knowledge of the English language.
US $ 900 (nine hundred US dollars) per month of residence.
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES
The group of residents shares workspaces, which include workshop space of 400 m2, meeting space and presentations. Our project is located in cheLA that has large spaces for artistic projects, rooms, and kitchen, a large patio, among other common facilities.
Participants not resident in Buenos Aires are accommodated in private or shared rooms within the building.
The participants will be working with a guest curator, the production coordinator, a general assistant and the project directors.
- A public instance of presentation of their research in the format that the participant proposes (workshop open to the community or for the group of residents, projection, talk, walk, etc).
- Weekly work sessions with the guest curator
- Meetings and activities with local agents: curators, managers, professors, artists, researchers, etc.
- Visits to studios, projects, galleries and institutions in Buenos Aires.
- Final event / open studio
Wifi, printers, general and power tools, digital projectors, basic materials.
Size: 629 KB