Please note: For all english language inquiries for the TEXTÍLSETUR ARTIST RESIDENCY, please email email@example.com.
The Textile Center Residency seeks to promote an atmosphere of creativity, experimentation and reflection for artists and scholars working inside the textile field. We hope that the scenic setting, including the old town of Blönduós and the river Blanda, support and enhance the creativity of artists and scholars by providing them with uninterrupted time for work and exploration.
The residency is situated in a former Women’s college, Kvennaskólinn, and furnished with 8 bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom, living room, laundry, and shared studio space. Residents also have access to the Kvennaskólinn Museum (dedicated to the history of the school), the Textiles Museum (next door), and the tapestry of ‘Vatnsdæla’; interested parties can learn, over a session with Jóhanna Pálmadóttir, how to embroider and contribute to the ongoing 46 metre ´Vatnsdæla´ embroidered tapestry. Studio facilities include a loom room, dying station, sewing machines, and personal or large shared desks. Each resident is provided with his/her own bedroom equipped with a small desk and scenic view, as well as shared space in the communal studio.
Please note the school is a historic building and residents are expected to follow house rules and respect the museum installations there in. Wi-Fi is available throughout the building.
The Textílsetur Residency is generally more full in the spring/summer months (May to September). If you wish to attend the residency during these months it is important to apply far (at least a year) in advance to secure your placement. Consider applying for a residency in the fall/winter months (October to April) for more immediate and open availability.
Textílsetur accepts applications to the residency at any time. Artists may apply for any time of year. Click here to see an overview of local events at different times of the year to help plan your stay.
Applications to the Textílsetur Residency are accepted year round and reviewed on a rolling basis. The residency is for periods of one or more months, hosting up to 8 resident artists at a time.
To apply, please fill out the appropriate online application form for your residency type:
Include the following in the upload section of the form:
- A CV or resumé describing your professional approach/working field (PDF/DOC format)
- A short project description/intentions for your stay – max one page (PDF/DOC format)
- Four images showing examples of your work, marked with artist’s name and title (JPG format)
Note: We base our selection on creativity and textile exploration. Projects don’t need to be finished here, the residency is a place for personal research, learning about Icelandic textile tradition and exchange between textile artists.
The cost of your residency fee must be paid three months prior to your arrival. Please ensure if you are applying for grants that you will know the outcome 3 months prior to attending. If you apply less than three months before your intended residency date, your residency fee must be paid as soon as you are accepted, or within reason we may extend your deadline. Artist fees are for the artist alone, please let us know if you have children or a spouse that need to be with you, as extra fees will apply.
- Standard room (For one person; one bed, a desk and a chair. Studio space in open communal studio, a loom in the weaving studio and working space in a dye studio across the street.) €780 per month
- Riverside view room (For one person; one bed, a desk and a chair. Studio space in open communal studio, a loom in the weaving studio and working space in a dye studio across the street. ) €820 per month
- Riverside view room with conjoined private studio + wc (For one person; one bed, a desk, a chair, toilet and sink. Studio space in open communal studio, a loom in the weaving studio and working space in a dye studio across the street.) €930 per month
- Standard room shared with 1 partner/collaborator (For two persons; two beds, a desk and a chair. Studio space in open communal studio, a loom in the weaving studio and working space in a dye studio across the street.) €1.300 per month
- Room in a 3 bedroom house next to the residency with riverside view + TC2 loom € 1.245 per month