Our 2019 residency season runs from mid-March through mid-November. National and international visual artists, composers, choreographers, media artists, writers and scientists (for Scientific Delirium Madness) are welcome to apply.
The Application Deadline is March 15, 2018 for residencies in 2019. Applications will be open at the end of November.
Processing Fee: $45 – late fee $65 up to one week after deadline
Eligibility & Re-applications
National and international visual artists, composers, choreographers, media artists, writers and scientists (for Scientific Delirium Madness) are eligible. Alumni must wait three seasons before re-applying for a return residency. Example: 2017 residents can re-apply for the 2021 residency season. Artists who were placed on alternate status may re-apply for the next season. Please note the application form, resume and all support materials must be in English. Students are not eligible for residencies.
Invitations for residencies are extended based on evaluations made by in-person and virtual panels consisting of artists and arts professionals and scientists in each discipline. The panels meet once a year to review applicants. Panelists are routinely rotated.
Applicants will be notified in September of the year they applied for a residency in the following calendar year.
Applicants should apply in the category that best represents their work. Applicants may apply to only one admissions panel, and in one genre, at a time. Applicants with concerns about choice of panel should contact the Residency Coordinator before submitting an application.
- Literature, fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, translation, and librettos
- Visual Art, painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, mixed media and installation art
- Music Composition, instrumental forms (symphonic, chamber music, band), vocal forms (opera, choral, songs), electronic music, and music for film.
- Choreography, artists working in choreography.
- Media Art/New Genres, film, video, multi media, performance/experimental theater, sound art and radio.
- Science, biology, chemistry, physics, math, environmental or agricultural science.
There are 6 residency sessions: 5 are 4 weeks long and 1 that includes Open House/Open Studios is 5 weeks long. No shorter or partial residencies are offered.
- March 14 – April 11
- April 25 – May 23
- June 13 – July 11 *Scientific Delirium Madness*
- July 18 – August 22 *Open House*
- September 5 – October 3
- October 17 – November 14